Monday, April 28, 2014

Vacation plotting

I've got some time off in July from the 1st through 6th. I was told at work I needed to use some of my vacation days, and since I was already taking days surrounding the previous weekend off I figured I might as well extend my vacation. But what was I going to DO with these days off?

I started to plot.

Now see - my idea for the road trip in December isn't going to happen. I'm moving into a new apartment in a few days, and it's going to end up eating much of my income. Too much to spend thousands of dollars on a trip. But what if I only spent hundreds?

Since my best friend visited last October (and came by train) I have gotten it into my head that it could be a lot of fun to visit Chicago and take the train there from Boston. And when I looked into that as an option I also discovered that it was cheaper than flying! I'd also eliminate two nights of figuring out housing to boot and get to see pretty scenery along the way.

So my idea is to leave Boston on the 1st. I'd arrive in Chicago on the 2nd. Look into couch surfing for three nights. Spend those days before and during the holiday in Chicago checking out the fireworks over Lake Michigan from the Navy Pier. Maybe going on the architecture boat tour while I'm there. Laying on a beach and swimming in the lake. It will be summer, after all! Then take the train back on the 5th and get home on the 6th.

I will wait until I move into my new place and get my finances back in order after getting everything settled into place there. But this idea has gotten rather stuck in my mind, and I am more and more interested in following through with it.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment