Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dream Destination - Ireland

Lush greens. Deep blues. Grey and white stone. Overcast skies. Beer in hand. Voices surrounding me. History and Literature living together with Culture. Rocky cliffs. Sheep grazing. Music everywhere. Sexy sexy accents. Friendly people. I close my eyes and that is what I imagine when I think of Ireland.

Ireland has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. It, along with India, has been that place I have read about in books or seen in movies since I was a little kid and just KNEW that I had to visit some day. There isn't any one place I want to visit over another. Like in India, I want to go to experience whatever comes my way and get swept up in the adventure. Like my dream destination of New Orleans I don't want to go with any sort of PLAN in mind. But to take it as it comes.

The only thing I do know is that I want to see Dublin, and wander the streets aimlessly. Get lost and duck into the nearest pub and just soak in the energy of the people surrounding me. I want to sketch. I want to write. I want to sit still and be absorbed by life there.

I mostly want to travel across or around the island. Visiting whatever places appeal to me. Stopping for a lovely view to sketch, take photos, or just enjoy. Exploring the unknown. Meeting people and talking to total strangers as comes so naturally for me.

Ireland is a place I can do in as long or as short a trip as I feel like at the time. I don't feel like it would be a "once in a lifetime" adventure the way my trip to India was that required a very large chunk of time devoted to it. If I only have a long weekend, so be it. If I have more than that, awesome. It is a place I envision being flexible and as quiet or adventurous as I feel like at the time.

My love of people, of architecture, and of exploration just tells me that Ireland is a place where I can indulge all of those loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment