Monday, April 16, 2012

An introduction

I recently made up some cards to hand out to new people with information like email address, phone number, and the link to this blog. I love being able to share my adventures with people. Allowing them into my mind and letting them experience the things I see and do through the power of language (and the occasional photo, of course!)

What all that means it that I suddenly have new readers to my blog here! People who don't know my background. Who don't know much of anything about me beyond a few words of conversation that led to my explaining that I travel and I keep this blog. So here we go... an introduction.

My name is Lori Campbell. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska but now live in Boston, Massachusetts. I moved there in 2006, with no job, no friends, and no place to live. I just knew it was the right choice for me so I jumped in and made it work. My childhood dream was to grow up to be Indiana Jones, and you know... except for the lack of Nazis I think I'm doing pretty well in living up to that dream. I travel, I have adventures, and I meet interesting people. I even get bruised up from time to time! (Although in my case it's because I am a klutz, not because people larger than myself pound me with their fists.)

I do not work a typical 9-5 job. After quitting my job at Northeastern University last year I decided I never wanted to live that way again. Only getting 1 or 2 weeks of vacation a year. And always being told when I can or (most often the case!) can't use my available vacation days. I realized that I'd never get to do the kind of traveling I have always dreamed of (like making it to all seven continents by the time I'm 40) if I didn't do something drastic. I mean come on! I'm in my early 30s. And aside from student loans I have no debt and no responsibilities to anyone other than myself. Now is the time to follow my dreams and start living life the way I choose to live.

So how can I afford to be foot loose and fancy free? See above... no debt. Also, I try to live relatively cheaply and make use of my large network of friends and family. Right now I am staying with my parents in Florida for a few months to save some money before I take off to India. When I go back to Boston I will couch surf for a few months til my next adventure.

I earn money doing what I do best. I plan trips for people. I've been doing this for myself my whole life, and it's what I am passionate about. I have a blast with it, so it's not like work at all. Definitely better than sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day. This job I can do from anywhere in the world. I also write. I am taking this blog and doing a lot of editing and rewrites and turning it into a tale of traveling while bipolar. This is a much harder task than I had anticipated when I first decided to do it. But I am getting closer to a draft I wouldn't mind people reading. When it's ready I expect I'll get rejection after rejection as I try to get it published. But I'm very proud of what I've got and I think there is a market for it. So I won't give up.

So there you go. A brief glimpse into who I am. I love to write. I love to tell stories. I love to share my adventures. I am so excited about my life these days. And I am thrilled to have a way to share that with the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment