Monday, November 7, 2011

Liga vs Libertad

Thursday, November 3, 2011

I am still not 100% clear which tournament this was, but it's a major South American international one, and Liga made it to this quarter final match. They were playing La Libertad, from Paraguay. Initially only a few people were planning to go, but over the course of the week the number of people interested in going grew. Until finally on Wednesday it was decided that we'd look into hiring a bus to drive us from Finn McCool's to the stadium! 15 people.

Remi was working til 3, so when he got off work a number of us gathered out front to decide the course of action. A couple of taxis were grabbed and brought 10 of us to the pub. The rest of us slithered in over the course of the next few hours.

We were scheduled to leave Finn's at 6. So we had a few hours to get a bit of pre-partying done before heading to the stadium. And a lot of beers were consumed!



There's Remi. We both particularly like this picture.



I got pretty hammered before we left. But it's all in good fun, and everyone was having a great time. And at 6:00 the bus pulled up outside and we trooped in to fill it to near capacity. After we got going we stopped shortly thereafter so Jay could run into a store to buy MORE beer. So we were able to keep drinking on our way to the stadium.

Once arriving Remi was asking around for tickets, but it looked like the cheaper end tickets were all sold out. And the scalpers were selling the side field tickets for $15. Too much! So we actually had to stand it line at the box office to get our tickets. $12. Not bad! Too bad it was the rest of the money I had brought with me.

The game started shortly after we found seats. Most of our group left our little corner to sit closer to the side, but Remi, Martin and I stayed where we were.







The game was awesome! Remi and I were expecting Liga to take a quick lead, simply due to how much more accustomed they were to playing at altitude. But Libertad managed to hold their own. There were a few giant plays that left the crowd on its feet just screaming in frustration at the lack of a goal. Liga definitely held control the entire game, though, despite the 0-0 score. The way they play is just beautiful to watch.

And in the final 20 seconds of the game, they scored! The crowd went wild.



Singing and pounding the drums and even louder singing filled the stadium even after the whistle blew to end the game. I meant to ask Remi what the song was they were singing, but never got a chance. I don't know the lyrics but I am going to keep the tune in my head for days.

So, our group was split up. But we eventually all managed to find each other through the crowds and all 15 people managed to make it on the bus. Some people wanted to keep partying, so the bus went back to La Mariscal to drop folk off. 10 people got off. I was broke, unfortunately, so I continued on back to the hostel.

Best idea ever. Cause I woke up the next morning with a WICKED hangover. In fact, all fifteen of us woke up Friday morning with a hangover. Remi left Friday for Cotopaxi, but at least he was able to wake up early enough that I was able to say goodbye to him before heading to my bed. Even though I suffered all day Friday, the fun that was had Thursday totally made up for it, and was by far my favorite night in Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment