Friday, October 7, 2011

The Paris Opera House


31 December, 2010

So much happened on New Year's Eve that I am going to break it up into three posts. First of all, I have to show you The Palais Garnier, otherwise known as the Paris Opéra. It was my first stop of the day, and the only place in Paris I paid money to go inside and see for myself. I really wasn't prepared for how stunning this place was. They had blocked off a great deal of it in order to prepare for a big New Year's Eve event, but I saw enough that it completely boggled my mind.

Like the Semperoper in Dresden, this opera house was build in the mid-late 1800s. Construction began in 1861 and the opera house opened in 1875. The opulence and lavish attention to detail was in evidence in every corner I found myself able to poke my nose into.

There was one section of hallway that I discovered wasn't as overwhelming as the rest. I saw a lot of posters of previous performances and various busts of famous composers and actors that made their names here in Paris.

I don't remember how long I spent in the opera house. Enough time that by the time I was ready to leave, they had blocked off the grand staircase and I needed to figure out another way to get out! It was like a labyrinth in there, and I could easily imagine why Gaston Leroux found it so inspirational. This was another place I could have spent an entire day visiting.
















No comments:

Post a Comment