Friday, October 7, 2011

My first major travel goal was accomplished midway through my 30th year. Despite all the traveling I've done prior to last year, I finally got my first stamp in my passport. The actual goal was to do this before turning 30, but I'm calling this a win nonetheless.

I had a week off between Christmas and New Year (9 days total), so decided to take advantage of the free time given to me. I looked at a map of the world. I looked at the list of places I wanted to visit. And I thought about how much time it would take to get somewhere. I live in Boston, so going west seemed like it would take so long to get anywhere I would be limited in how much time I got to spend in the actual destination! So east is where I set my sights. Europe.

Since I really wanted to see Paris, but one of my best friends lives in Germany, I decided to split my time between the two places! 4 days in Dresden with Bine and Cathy, followed by 5 days on my own in Paris. It would be the first time I'd traveled to another country on my own. But I know me. I knew it wouldn't be my last.

I decided to fly from BOS to Dresden. Then from Dresden to Paris. Then home again from Paris. The middle flight was cheaper than taking the train, and unfortunately I needed to take that into consideration.

A coworker used to live in Paris, and she helped me figure out a good place to stay while there. I ended up picking a hostel in Montmartre. It was fairly no frills, but at 30 Euros I wasn't expecting any luxuries.

Had a list of all the things I wanted to see. I decided to let Bine determine the sights to see in Dresden, since she's a local. And even though I'm not really a museum person I added the Musée d'Orsay and Musée Rodin to my Parisian list based on various recommendations from friends. I got a great app for my iPhone that would help me get around. And I made sure I had plenty of Euros before leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment