Friday, October 7, 2011

Hello 2011 - a trip to the cemetery

1 January, 2011

Apparently I never finished writing up my trip after I got back! This is now more than 10 months ago, so my memory isn't as fresh as it had been. But we'll see what I can remember. :)

New Years Day was my last day in Paris. But I was tired from my exertions of the past several days and felt like taking it relatively easy. The Montmarte cemetery was within an easy walk from my hostel and you know me... I'm never one to pass up the chance to visit cemeteries!

This particular cemetery is the resting place of one Alexandre Dumas Fils. (The son of the more famous Dumas). The second Dumas here wrote the novel that my favorite opera, La Traviata, is based on. I felt bad for his poor bare feet. If I had been wearing socks I probably would have taken them off to put on the statute (I wore my ballet flats that day vs. my boots).

There were several other notable graves, though it is no Père Lachaise. I am sad I didn't get a chance to make it there, but it does give me another thing to visit the next time I make it to Paris.

The day got progressively colder, windier, and wetter. Since I was notably not dressed properly for that turn of events I decided to make my way back to the hostel (stopping at a cafe for lunch) and took the rest of the day to pack and get ready for my trip home the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment